Wednesday 23 April 2008

Coping

This Friday the mother of a good friend of mine in Seattle goes into hospital for a major heart operation. Her daughter, one of the most caring and wonderful people I know, is flying to Kansas City to be by her side. My thoughts are with them both and I hope they both get the strength to come through.

It's when things like this happen, events that affect those you hold so dear, that one tends to switch on to automatic pilot. My own mother had a health scare eighteen months ago. She was living in Aberdeen at the time which only made me worry all the more. Thankfully she recovered but this was a huge influence on her decision to move to Edinburgh to be closer to her immediate family. She doesn't see Aberdeen FC so much now but that's merely an added bonus!

Life is tough enough with the daily grind at work, the never ending battle to make ends meet to keep a roof over your head and problems that having two adult daughters and two grandchildren bring. As I get older it seems to me that life is one constant worry. But when something major happens, when someone close to you has to go into hospital for a major operation, all your other worries seem to pale in comparison. You do tend to focus on the main source of anxiety - and while this doesn't make your other problems go away they are put into some kind of perspective.

A crap day at work when the whole world seems to want a piece of you can be frustrating and very tiring. But in the wider scheme of things, the health and well-being of the people you love are infinitely more important.

3 comments:

1st Lady said...

My mother had a huge health scare a few years ago and now I never take health for granted. Day by day trials (and Im going through a few right now) I can deal with when I know my family is safe and healthy.

Adullamite said...

Good post Mike.

June said...

Thank you so much Mike, it seems that lately I've had so many stressful situations but this puts things in perspective. I'm not going to be laying on my death bed worried that I didn't get a report in on time or that the dishes didn't get done or that I messed the words up on a song that I was singing. No matter what happens with my mom, I know I saw the love in her eyes and her being thankful that I am here for her...things like that are all that really matter...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...