Wednesday 2 April 2008

Pandering To The Neds


There was a story in The Herald yesterday about how three under-16s had to spend some time in an adult jail after one of Scotland's secure units for children had to be closed temporarily after a riot. Cue condemnation from the do-gooders brigade about how this was wrong and why our vulnerable children should be protected. John Watson, Scottish Programme Director for Amnesty International said: "Adult jails are no place for vulnerable children."


Admirable sentiments. Except we're not talking about vulnerable children, are we? We're talking about gobby little neds who roam the streets at night with the sole intent of causing as much trouble as possible. And who make life miserable for many others.


You only need to walk down Edinburgh's Princes Street on a Friday or Saturday evening - or any other evening for that matter - to witness loutish behaviour by out of control wannabe gangsters who have no respect for society or law and order. Fuelled by cheap alcohol and who knows what kind of illegal substance, the teenage thugs do as they please and heaven help anyone caught in the crossfire. Travelling on public transport in the capital city and beyond late at night can be at best an irritation and at worst an ordeal with one being fearful for one's safety. Loud, abusive, threatening behaviour - it's small wonder that most buses now have protective shields in case the poor harrassed driver gets set upon. And many of these yobs are still of school age (I hesitate to suggest they're still at school as I suspect many of them don't bother with education - or they go to school to harrass and threaten the downtrodden teachers)

Society has declined steadily in the last three or four decades. You daren't drop your guard when going out at night as you just don't know what lies ahead. There is precious little respect nowadays. So it annoys me when I read the views of the so-called experts who say these louts are vulnerable and need protection. Worse still is the all too frequent human rights bollocks. What about their victims? What about their human rights?

The reason most of these yobs are in secure units is because of their behaviour. Now there'll be any number of social workers and child psychologists who say these children need support and not punishment. Any number of 'experts' only too keen to pander to the needs of ned culture.

When I was 14 years old in 1976, I got into a spot of bother. My mother gave me such a damned good thrashing I never got into trouble again. But violence against children is not humane I hear the cry. Fair enough.

But if the do-gooders say the reason youngsters get into trouble is because they have no social amenities and no prospects then may I suggest a solution? Bring back national service for 16-18 year olds. A couple of years in the army will sort out their 'vulnerability'

And allow law-abiding citizens to live a little more freely.

3 comments:

Groanin' Jock said...

Do you mean National Service for all 16-18 year olds? Because if that happened, it would be a massive disruption to those youngsters who have found a career or who are studying?

But for neds - yes, let's do it. Send them to Basra and see how much they enjoy roaming the streets and shouting there.

Mike Smith said...

True, Jock - there are many hard working, respectful youngsters who don't stick two fingers up at society.
But for those who get into trouble rather than send them to a young offenders institution I'd put them for army training and then send them packing to Iraq or Afghanistan.

1st Lady said...

I'm seriously considering a move back to Scotland, but you know what's been putting me off? The teenage youngsters just as you described. Just last year I was driving on a main road in Edinburgh and I had to slam on my brakes as a bunch of kids were fooling around on the road, then then patted my car! Well, I blasted my horn and scared the beejeebees out of them, thinking back that wasn't the safest thing to do. I just dont see this happening in America. Sure we have other problems, but British teens just scare me.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...