Saturday 17 May 2008

Happy Birthday Laura Smith

I'm feeling my age this week. Today is my daughter Laura's 22nd birthday. She has grown up so quickly into a lively young woman, herself a mother to two wonderful children, Jack and Hannah. I remember the day Laura was born like it were yesterday. She was born at 3.30pm on Saturday 17 May 1986. Her mother was fifteen hours in labour but when Laura finally arrived it was one of the most emotional moments of my life. Up alongside seeing Hearts win the Scottish Cup...

It was ten years ago yesterday that Hearts ended thirty six years of hurt by winning the trophy. Again, it feels like yesterday. I well remember coming home from the final in Glasgow via the party in Gorgie at just after midnight to find twelve year old Laura still up and hyperactive. A few of her pals were having a 'sleep-over' but I was in a state of such delirium she could have invited the whole of Edinburgh and I wouldn't have minded. But thinking back it seems incredible that so much has happened to my 'wee girl' in just ten years. At that time she was still at primary school, preparing for the move to secondary in the summer. Now, a decade on, she has her own home, two jobs, two kids and the financial worries that the majority of us have. I sometimes wonder if, at 22, she should be carefree with not a worry in the world - but then we wouldn't have the joy that Jack and Hannah bring.

I was already feeling my age as a result of hearing the tragic news of the passing of Celtic legend Tommy Burns. Just 51, Tommy was one of football's good guys and I remember him putting Hearts to the sword on many an occasion.

Ironically, I was only saying to a colleague a few days ago how I much prefer going to a funeral than a wedding. At least at a funeral you can look miserable and get away with it. At a wedding it's all smiles and having to look happy.

Which reminds me of the fella who tells his pal he'll be wearing the kilt at his wedding

'And what's the tartan?' asks his mate.

'Oh, she'll be wearing white'"

Happy Birthday Laura.

No comments:

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...