Thursday 12 June 2008

Northern Lights




I'm off to Aberdeen tomorrow to meet an old mate where we will try and put the world to rights. Last time I was in the Granite City was in the middle of January when it was dark, cold and miserable - and the weather wasn't up to much either...

I used to live in Aberdeen although it's nearly twenty years since I left. The city centre in particular has changed so much in that time. Some might say the soul has been ripped from the city. In January, my mate and I thought about trying a few drinking haunts from years gone by - for old times sake. But we found that many of them no longer exist.

So if anyone from there happens to read this and can suggest some pubs close to the city centre where the beer is cheap and the atmosphere unthreatening, I'd be much obliged.

On Saturday morning I shall return home - armed with at least a dozen rowies...!

3 comments:

Groanin' Jock said...

You'll be pleased to know it's pishing with rain here in Aberdeen just now!

As for hostelries - simply avoid the harbour. The Monkey House on the corner of Union Street and Market Street is pretty cheap, and if you're there during the day you can get decent food and a comfy couch to sit on. Frankenstein's at the north end of Union Street also does good food and has a decent selection of beers.

Colin Campbell said...

Ah pishing down in Aberdeen, the most miserable place that I have ever lived. The combination of the rain, wind and cold were enough to drive you to drink.

My time there was in 1978 when I made a false start in my University career. I haven't had Rowies since then.

1st Lady said...

I lived in Aberdeen for a wee while too. It's too late now, and who knows if it's still there, but my favourite pub was an Irish bar called O'Donoghues on Justice Mill Lane. Yes siree, met my American ex there. I always enjoyed the atmosphere and live music.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...