Friday 11 July 2008

The Latest in a Long Line...



On my way to work this morning, I walked through Cameron Toll Shopping Centre as I have started doing recently. Usually I'm wandering through there about 8.00am and it's quite eerie to see the majority of shops still closed (Sainsbury's excepted) and the footsteps of a handful of people passing through echoing around the hall. But as I passed through today the Centre was busier than usual. There was a large queue of people outside the O2 shop. The reason became apparant as I read the BBC News website at lunch time - today saw the launch of the latest IPhone.

Apparently this latest update which is cheaper, faster and has something called 3G is only available on the O2 network. Whatever its attraction it was enough to have people queuing all over the country to be among the first to have it. Now, this is perhaps a symbol of me being middle-aged but I find myself asking - why? Not why buy the new IPhone which I don't doubt is a wonderful gadget. But why queue overnight as some people did? Why did one fella in London feel the need to buy his place at the front of the queue at the O2 shop in London's Regent Street off ebay?

Is today the only day the new IPhone is on sale? Is that it? If you didn't get one today was that your one and only chance? Or are the new phones, as I suspect, on sale again tomorrow? I've always found the idea of people queuing outside shops waiting for the sales to begin mildly amusing. But there's a logic behind this. Once the sale stock has gone, that's it - shops can revert to ripping people off again. And the big sales are usually the day after Christmas when many of us would do anything to get out the house. But I'm a bit baffled by the urge of some people to be among the first to get a new gadget that will probably be commonplace in a a few months (January sales anyone?)

Despite what my two daughters think, I'm not totally out of touch with technology. I have a laptop, a mobile and even an IPod Touch which I was given as a present last Christmas (I've even downloaded tracks on to it - hark at me) But I was totally unaware of this new IPhone which apparently is a phone, web broswer, music player, instant messenger, makes you a cup of tea in the morning, irons your shirts, drives you to work and does your work for you once you're in the office.

Okay, I may have made much of that last bit up. Or if it's true I'm away to look out my sleeping bag and make a midnight trip to Cameron Toll...

2 comments:

June said...

Mike, that is so true. I admit that I have been eyeing that Iphone but I bet you anything in a couple of months it will be half the price. I have a RAZR phone and a friend of mine just HAD to have the first ones out and spent quite a bit. I got mine 3 months later and spent a fraction of what she paid. Patience is hard when you want something so bad but in the long run it will be worth it if you wait. But if it does all those things that you say, I'll get my sleeping bag too.

Colin Campbell said...

I laughed at this. iPhones also went on sale officially here in Australia this week for the first time. It is avaliable on three networks and they have priced the internet part in such a way that most people won't be able to afford to use that capability.

I am definitely of the view that phones are for talking and texting, but mostly talking.

All the other stuff is just noise.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...