Wednesday 14 January 2009

The Prisoner Passes Away


Emmy-winning actor Patrick McGoohan, best known for starring in cult 1960s TV show The Prisoner, has died at the age of 80. He died in Los Angeles after a short illness, his film producer son-in-law Cleve Landsberg told Associated Press. McGoohan played the character Six in the surreal 1960s show, filmed in the north Wales village of Portmeirion. His character spent the entire time attempting to escape from The Village and finding out the identity of his captor, the elusive Number One.

He repeatedly declared: "I am not a number - I am a free man!"

From the BBC News website
As a huge fan of The Prisoner, this is really sad news. I was only five years old when the iconic series first hit our small screens but I watched the re-runs decades later avidly. Every week I used to urge Number Six to escape and there were some weeks when I thought he had done so. In one episode he devised what seems an elaborate plan to escape involving a helicopter and ship to take him back to what he believes is London. But it was all a hoax and he had never left the village!

McGoohan was quite superb as Number Six. He was also in another 1960s series, Danger Man, and also played a memorable role - somewhat ironically given the tv programme that made his name - as the prison governer in the film Escape from Alcatraz which also starred Clint Eastwood.

I believe that ITV are in the process of remaking a new series of The Prisoner to be shown on our screens next year. I don't think I'll be watching it - for the simple reason there will never be another Patrick McGoohan.


4 comments:

Lilly said...

Hey Mike, I have never seen that show. Was he English or Amercian?

And if I was you I would double check your name on your birth certificate, perhaps your parents really mean to call you Mate Smith and the clerk at the Registrar's office mistook it for Mike. Come to think I better check with my own parents - my brother is a Michael as well. Gee would have made it easier for Aussies to remember his name that way, Hey Mate, G'day Mate, Onya Mate......

Mike Smith said...

Hi Lilly - Patrick McGoohan was born in New York but brought up in England (we all have our cross to bear!)

My mother was a huge fan of Engelbert Humperdink - so being Christened Michael wasn't so bad!

Anonymous said...

Ach, Mike, what a scunner this news is. I'm a massive fan of "The Prisoner" and of McGoohan - I loved all his Columbo episodes, too.

"The Prisoner" is the kind of series that they wouldn't make today, along with stuff like "Sapphire and Steel", as most TV now seems aimed at teenagers with attention deficit disorder. The best thing about it was wondering what the hell was going on.

As for the remake, Ian McKellen is quoted as saying "By episode six you'll know everything about the Village, where it came from, who created it and why, what it's like to actually live there." Hmmmm... So completely different to the original series, then. Sheesh. I bet you they change Rover, too!

Anyway, 'tis a helluva shame and now there's Ricardo "Khaaaaannnnn" Montalban away, too.

I shall drink to their memory!

Adullamite said...

'The Prisoner' was very much a 1960's programme. Like the 'Avengers' and 'Danger Man' it could only be appreciated (never understood) by people of that time!
To attempt a remake is a colossal mistake, but will make money for someone.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...