Thursday 1 January 2009

New Year, Same Old...

Deciding to turn over a new leaf in the new year could do more harm than good, a mental health charity has warned. 'Mind' has urged people not to feel they must start 2009 armed with resolutions for self-improvement.

The charity said resolutions which focus on issues such as the need to lose weight or job worries create a negative self-image. And if the plans fail to materialise, that could trigger feelings of failure and inadequacy, the charity said.

Mind chief executive Paul Farmer said focussing on problems or insecurities can lead to feelings of hopelessness, low self-esteem and even mild depression. "We chastise ourselves for our perceived shortcomings and set unrealistic goals to change our behaviour, so it's not surprising that when we fail to keep resolutions, we end up feeling worse than when we started," he said.


From the BBC News Website

Who said the UK was becoming a nanny state? Like so many other people, I made the usual list of things aimed at improving my life in 2009. Lose some weight, Smith, I told myself. I declare this every year at this time but ultimately do nothing about it, blaming the stresses and strains of life for 'comfort eating'. Cut back on the alcohol intake. This I did do in 2008 although I'm far from tea-total. Try cold turkey on the gambling front - apparently there isn't a law that says I can't pass Ladbrokes fine establishments without going in. Take more exercise. Well I do use public transport and walk a bit extra to work in the morning. Although that just has the effect of making me even more tired when I get to the office...

But with 2009 now upon us there's no better time to start my new regime. And, as my daughters point out, there's no point in blaming others for my shortcomings. So here I go. Except....

...today being January 1st, much of Scotland is closed. There is a limited public transport service in Edinburgh but as my abode comes under the Disneyworld sponsored Midlothian Council there are no buses at all in Dalkeith today. While City of Edinburgh, East Lothian and West Lothian Councils have all provided a level of subsidy to the bus companies in the name of public service, Midlothian Council have decided not to bother. And with many people having had a bevvy last night, the streets of Dalkeith are deserted. I could walk a mile to the nearest local shop but it will be closed. And anyway, it's too damned cold to walk today...

So I'm stuck on me Jack Jones. Watching the horse racing on Channel Four. And my first two horses have come nowhere (Ladbrokes website is too damn accessible!) I'm picking the leftovers from last night's Chinese takeaway. And my cup of coffee (real coffee, none of this decaffinated nonsense) tastes all the better with a wee drop of Jack Daniels in it...

Can I start again on January 2nd?

4 comments:

Jane said...

Good luck with the horses, the new leaf and everything else in 2009! Nice to see you on my blog - I'll enjoy browsing through yours too! All the best from freezing Wales, Jane

Lilly said...

HILARIOUS as usual. I used to go through Dalkeith every day on the bus. In fact I was the fittest I have ever been living in Scotland simply because I walked a lot. Yep you can start on day 2 - they reckon 90% of resolutions last till the end of the month anyway - someone has to be in that 10%!! It could be you. Just think healthy and long life..

Colin Campbell said...

I either don't set resolutions or set them on the last day of the year. Your day sounds very miserable. I resolve not to move back to Scotland and not to live in Dalkeith. Now there is a resolution not too difficult to keep.

All the best for 2009. Fuck the resolutions and have a good time if you can.

Groanin' Jock said...

I see you get a name check in today's Sunday Mail sports pages - although Rob Fairburn isn't exactly complimentary!

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...