Thursday 26 March 2009

It's Not Fair Part Two (and nothing to do with Lily Allen)

The Edinburgh home of former Royal Bank of Scotland boss Sir Fred Goodwin has been attacked by vandals. Windows were smashed and a Mercedes S600 car parked in the driveway was vandalised. A group angry at bank executives' pay contacted a newspaper claiming to be behind the early morning attack. Police said they were investigating these claims as part of their inquiry, adding that they took planned attacks "very seriously".

From the BBC News website

Well, that's good to hear that Lothian and Borders finest men and women in blue are taking such wanton destruction seriously. Ten days ago I had a large stone chucked through my living room window in a similar act of vandalism. Thankfully, as I have double-glazing, it was only the outer pane that was smashed but as I was sitting near the window at the time, this attack - and that's what it was - was very distressing and had me on edge for some time. There was broken glass everywhere - again, thankfully, I was alone at the time but I can only imagine the fear it would have caused my grandchildren Jack and Hannah had they been in the house when it happened.

I've still no idea who did it although suspicion lies with some local yobs with nothing better to do. But, unlike Sir Fred, I was given short shrift by the local bobbies. I phoned the local police station as soon as it happened and was told someone would phone me back. They did and asked if I wanted an officer to come round. Still quite shaken I thought that would be a good idea and the officer could take a look at the damage. No one came. I phoned the following day and was told someone would phone me later that week. No one did. I did get a phone call five days later asking if I could go to the station to formally report the incident - which I thought I had done over the phone. I didn't go and another five days days passed before an admittedly helpful WPC phoned me and took the exact details of the incident over the phone.

My window has been fixed and while I'm insured I still had to fork out £75 for the excess charge. Meanwhile the lout who caused the damage is away Scot free. No police guard for me - not even a visit from the local bobby.

No matter what Sir Fred Goodwin has done - or not done - he doesn't deserve his property attacked and damaged. No one does. But at least he can rest assured that taxpayers money is going towards the police guarding his house in case of further attacks.

Meanwhile, in darkest Dalkeith, I appear to be an afterthought...

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Funny enough I do not feel sorry for Fred. But I do you. That would have been frightening. I had a serious issue I wanted help with when I lived in Scotland. The police were useless. I cant really tell you the story on your blog but lets say it has taken me 3 years before I got anyones interest. I finally sent an email (even though I am now in OZ) with a cc to someone higher up the chain. Finally I got an immediate response. We will see. No we cant rely on jutice or security these days. Take Care and I hope whoever did that wil get caught. Eventually they always do. And all hail to double glazing as well - it could have serioulsy saved your life given you were sitting near the window!

Adullamite said...

I tied a helpful note saying 'Your window is broken' to it......




But it was ever thus. If the polis went to answer every act of vandalism they would have no time for flying Lesbian flags and filling in forms.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...