Sunday 8 March 2009

A Misunderstanding


My dear friend from Seattle, the lovely June, creased me up when I read her latest e-mail. Part of it read:

Right now I am watching a few interesting shows on Hitler on the history channel, I was thinking of you while I was watching it..........not that you remind me of Hitler, just that I know how much you are interested in this time period.

Now I've been called and compared to many things, but Hitler is a first! I wonder if the fact I was out to the pub last night wearing knee length black leather boots and a brown shirt and am growing a small moustache may have had anything to to with it...? I know what June really meant and she alluded to it in her e-mail but I have to say it brightened my normally miserable Sunday.

My dear old mum is the person who I associate most with misunderstandings. A few years ago there was a spate of threatened anthrax attacks and she was telling me how concerned she was about opening any suspect looking parcel that may be delivered to her (although quite how she thought she would be a target for any terrorist activity is rather beyond me) As she put it, she was quite concerned about the threat of Andrex...Rather fittingly, the following day I took her to the Hearts-Aberdeen game at Tynecastle (she's an Aberdeen fan) and the kick-off was held up for a couple of minutes after the Aberdeen fans threw a multitude of toilet rolls on to the pitch. So, perhaps she had a point all along...

Her piece de resistance, however, was when she thought about getting one of those new 'George Formby Grills'.

At least her eggs would turn out nice again...

3 comments:

Banoffi said...

How strange, my Dad just mentioned George Formby to me today. He wants me to try and find a DVD or something of him. I never heard of him until he told me his songs. Hitler? Nah wouldnt think of you in that light, although the moustache may be a bit of a giveaway.

Your Mum sounds fun except for the fact she supports Aberdeen lol. I have a story about my daughter and Anthrax. She was applying for a law clerks position with all the lawyers in the city.She decided to go to the central mail register where all the lawyers exchange mail (nver knew there was such a thing but trust them to avoid the post office). Anyway she just walked in there and put unaddressed envelopes in every mailbox. Her CV and letter were inside the envelope. She got contacted by the police. Apparently she shouldnt have been in the building at all let alone puting unaddressed envelopes in the mailboxes. It almost ruined her law career before it started. Yes she is like her mother, stupid! She has way more stupid stories than me which are entertaining when they happen to other people, he he. Have a great week. Spring must be on its way.

Adullamite said...

Hitler? More like Charlie Chaplin! :)

June said...

yes, I think I agree with Adullamite, Charlie Chaplin more than Hitler...

My job was to open the mail when I worked at the sperm bank in the hospital, I was always afraid that some nutcase would send something like Anthrax just to get rid of a bunch of test tube baby makers of more horrible Americans. I think paranoia was all over the world...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...