Tuesday 28 April 2009

When Tragedy Strikes

My youngest daughter Michaela received some devastating news at the weekend. We all lose someone close to us at some point in our lives but at just 19 years of age she really shouldn't have to go through what's happening in her life right now. I hope these words may bring some comfort, not only to my darling daughter whose heart is broken right now, but for other people who have lost a loved one.

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are
Call me by my old familiar name
Speak to me in the easy which you always used
Put no difference in your tone
Wear no forced air of solemnity on sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together
Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me

Let my name be ever the household word that it always was
Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of a shadow on it
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well.

3 comments:

Lilly said...

Oh Mike I am so sorry for your daughter and what she is facing. What a great Dad you are and these are beautiful words. Very soothing to the soul. She will need some strength around her to help her through. The feeling we have as parents to protect our children at all costs never leaves us no matter their age. My prayers are with her.

Adullamite said...

Sorry to hear this Mike.

June said...

I hope Michaela is hanging in there. I just can't imagine what she is going through right now. I hope you are doing okay too trying to comfort her.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...