Sunday 10 May 2009

Euro Vision...

Like thousands of other people, the other day I received my Official Poll Card for the forthcoming European Parliamentary Election. Now call me cynical (okay, I am cynical) but the word apathy may well have been created with the European Election in mind.

It's fair to say the election, on 4 June, wasn't exactly highlighted on the Auld Reekie Ranter's calendar. In fact, I didn't even realise there was an election. I suspect I may not be alone in this. Yet, the European Parliament has a powerful influence on our daily lives. No, really it has. According to political experts, if the centre-right wins we can expect more market liberalisation, fewer environmental regulations, and more restrictive immigration policies, while if the centre-left wins, we can expect stricter environmental standards, more labour market rules and liberal immigration policies. More labour market rules? As someone working in the Human Resources profession that makes me quiver...

But, despite such legislative power, it seems this year's European Election may attract a record low turn-out. Do you know who your MEP is? I haven't a clue who mine is although I suspect given they or their party will be looking for my vote next month I may well see him or her rampaging the streets of Edinburgh in the days ahead.

I always vote in the UK, Scottish and local council elections. I'm proud to say I vote for the Scottish National Party as I yearn for the day this magnificent country of ours stands on its own two feet and becomes a true nation again. But I just can't muster any enthusiam for the European polls. I can't see any real benefit from being in the European Parliament although doubtless there will be funding of some sort from Brussels which contributes towards something or other in the Scottish capital - I just don't know what. My view is that the bureaucrats in Brussels merely contribute to making my life more miserable than it ought to be.

So on 4 June it's likely I won't be casting my vote. It only encourages them...

1 comment:

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...