Wednesday 6 May 2009

Faith Restored

Today my daughter Michaela helped to bury the man she was due to marry two years from now. Billy was found dead ten days ago. He was just 21. At his funeral in Danderhall this afternoon, Michaela went through an ordeal today that no teenager should have to go through.

Today has been long and painful - but it has, strangely, restored my faith in society. I got back from the wake around 7.30pm. Michaela has been a brave soul all day. What is clear is she is a very popular young girl. Billy's family all spoke about her in glowing terms, about how she had made Billy's life so much better and how she had made a difference even to their lives. Billy's devastated mum told me how much Michaela means to her - and how much she meant to her son. I can only try to imagine the pain she is feeling - there can surely be nothing worse than to lose a child. My heart goes out to her, Billy's two sisters and the rest of his family.

Michaela's friends - and she has many - were there to support her and many of them took the time to come and speak to me. They told me not to worry, they would help her through this difficult period. One of them told me Michaela told her she was really a Daddy's girl - but not to breath a word to me! Yes, alcohol was playing its part but the sentiments were clear. As I left, Michaela came over and gave me a huge hug and told me she loved me. I returned her love with a trembling voice.

I've never been so proud of my little girl as I am tonight. I was fighting back the tears as I left but now I'm at home and Jack Daniels has joined me I may shed a tear or two. My daughter, her friends and Billy's family have restored my faith in society. Decency is still among us, despite what we may read and hear in the media. That such a traumatic event can have such a positive impact makes me very humble.

As the events in my daughter's life these last ten days have proved, life is too short to be bitter.

5 comments:

Strawberry Girl said...

This is a fitting benediction for your sentiments of the day... a little tribute to your observations of humanity. Glad to hear that your daughter has many friends and loved ones to help her get through this time, and that indirectly helps ease the burden a bit from your heart. *Hugs Again*

Mike Smith said...

Thank you SG. I hope you are well.

Adullamite said...

Good post Mike.

Gary said...

Yup, it ts easy to concentrate on the bad things in life. Sometimes they seem to be the only things in life. But, as you say in your post, good things can come from the most awful of circumstances. I'm sure you don't need to be reminded how much you love your daughter and how proud you are but these things can focus your mind on things you can take for granted. Hope you and Mr Daniels meet up again soon in happier times.

Gary

Lilly said...

Beautiful post Mike. They do say that behind every cloud there is a silver lining. I am glad you can see the positive in a very traumatic situation. I hope your daughter is doing well. She will have lots of support.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...