Sunday 3 May 2009

Family Matters

It's been a difficult week for the Auld Reekie Ranter. A sudden, totally unexpected death is shocking at any time; when it happens to someone who recently celebrated his 21st birthday and whose passing has left my daughter Michaela heart-broken it sends shock waves through the body, numbing it with disbelief and leaving one feeling almost completely helpless. Nothing I can say or do to try and help my daughter will bring back the person she loved with all her heart. The funeral is this Wednesday and I would not wish to be anywhere else than by my daughter's side that day; but at the same time I would rather be somewhere else rather than witness the pain and anguish she will go through.

With such dark clouds overhead, there is a wee glimpse of sunshine today with my grandson Jack's fourth birthday. It's hard to believe four years have gone by since he came into my life. The wee scamp has given me so much joy, so much love, so much fun. Today I will head to his party, armed with a multitude of loud and irritating presents which my daughter Laura will likely greet with horror, and give the wee man a huge hug.

Happy birthday Jack the Lad. Save some cake for your emotionally brittle Papa.

4 comments:

Adullamite said...

With you Mike.

Strawberry Girl said...

WOW, such tough issues right now. I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts.

(Sorry I haven't been over to post for a while, gotten behind on my commenting).

*Hugs*

Lilly said...

Praying for you Mike. She needs her Dad right now. So sad, at 21. Take Care

Mike Smith said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts, folks. Very much appreciated.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...