Monday 25 May 2009

Move Over, Darling (and the rest)


Alistair Darling is among nine cabinet members who used £11,000 of taxpayers' money to pay for personal accountancy advice, the Daily Telegraph has said. It says he, Jacqui Smith, Hazel Blears, David Miliband, James Purnell, Douglas Alexander, Geoff Hoon and Hilary Benn claimed for tax return processing.

From the BBC News Website

I received my P60 the other week and shuddered when I read how much income tax I have paid in the last year. When I think of how I could have put this money - taken from my salary before I even get it - to other noble purposes (drink, gambling, unhealthy food, following Hearts away from home - okay, the last bit may be stretching the imagination when described as noble) I sigh and wish the world was a fairer place. But now I read that part of my hard-earned cash is contributing towards the Chancellor of the Exchequer no less, hiring the services of an accountant to fill in his tax return! I stand to be corrected here but I always thought it was the Chancellor who decided the rate of income tax in the first place...

The whole sorry saga of MP's expenses and some of the ridiculous items they have claimed at the cost of the taxpayer is an embarrassment to the United Kingdom. I say the UK rather than Scotland as our devolved Parliament has a different, more transparent expenses system and is open to scrutiny by all. Prime Minister Gordon Brown is holding office as an unelected leader of the UK. It's time he, Alister Darling and all the others, moved over and held a General Election. Of course, most political parties appear to have been taking liberties with the expenses system, not just the Labour Party (sorry - 'New Labour') But the public should have the right to voice their opinions on this shambolic state of affairs.

Brown should go to the country now - if he dares. I would like to think the people of Scotland would wash their hands of their Westminster paymasters and vote for independence.

And be an honourable nation again...

1 comment:

Adullamite said...

I don't agree with an election now. Far too many would not vote at all!
It will happen within a year and then the Tories will take over, the promises will be good, and within a further year we will want Labour back!
Usual stuff.....



Not that I'm cynical mind..

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...