Saturday 30 May 2009

Summer Breeze...


...makes me feel fine, blowin' through the jasmine in my mind...

So went the song by Seals and Crofts in the mid 1970s. And, this fine Saturday morning, the sun shines strongly in Edinburgh. While there is a little breeze, the weather is fine, it is warm and it seems summer has finally arrived.

Then again.....

We're three weeks away from the longest day when it will still be daylight until after 10.00pm. Then, the process towards darker nights will begin...soon it will be dark by 9.00pm.....shadows will be cast earlier....the incessant cackle that are the shopping channels on Freeview television will begin to advertise 'Countdown to Christmas' (just a few weeks away from this, I reckon)...the leaves will begin to fall from the trees....early morning frost will appear...the Last Night of the Proms will be upon us...the clocks will be turned back...we'll be back to wearing a thick coat and gloves...fireworks will appear in the shops and will be lit by inconsiderate louts as early as mid October...Guy Fawkes night...St. Andrew's Day...the dreaded office Christmas party...the dreaded Christmas Day itself....Bloody Happy New Year....the inevitable outbreak of Manflu at that time of the year...

Enjoy summer, good people. It will probably be as good as over by Tuesday...

11 comments:

Lilly said...

I never got used to the daylight hours until 9 or 10 at night. Freaky. It gets dark here by 8 in summer and 5ish in winter. I was talking to my sister in London this morning and they were so happy it was so hot. Get out there and enjoy it. That picture in your header is a beautiful one too!

Adullamite said...

Thanks, I was feeling cheerful up till now. However you have fixed that!

Unknown said...

Well, I was going to scold you for depressing me, but since you had such a lovely effect on Adullamite, I would much rather sing your praises now. Great song and incredible pic, by the way.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Thanks for the glimpse into life in your neck of the woods. In LA we judge summer by how hot it is and how thick the smog layers are. As for the rest... I'm with you as the dreaded winter holidays start. It's all down hill from there :-)

Oh, and I LOVE Seals and Crofts. Haven't thought of them in years.

Strawberry Girl said...

WELL, guess I will go out and enjoy some summer breezes then eh? ;p

June said...

I am singing Sunrise, Sunset at a wedding tomorrow. The song always reminds me how fast time goes by. You know the old saying...Enjoy each day like it's your last...and one of these days, you'll be right!

Adullamite said...

Can I just point out that as Fishawk comes from Arkansas, and they can't even pronounce that right, you need to avoid him. He is also older than us both!

Unknown said...

It is becoming of a gentleman to have respect for his elders.

Mike Smith said...

That rules Adullamite out then - not that he has many elders now the last survivor of the Titanic has passed away...

Adullamite said...

Listen Mike, before I reply, have you read this man? http://kirkelder.blogspot.com/
Indeed, is that man you????

The Titanic, I saw that at , er, never mind...

Mike Smith said...

Not I, sir, but I am a regular reader of his excellent prose.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...