Tuesday 21 July 2009

The Good and the Bad of Dublin



I'm just back from a long weekend in Dublin. A fine weekend was had and plenty of pints of the black stuff were consumed - even though the state of the pound means the Euro, the currency now used in Ireland's fair city, is almost on parity with Sterling. Which means a pint of Guinness is five Euros upwards...

They say you get what you pay for in life. Cheap flights from Edinburgh to Dublin - £53 return - was decent enough value even though the flight takes little more than an hour. It's also true to say when I booked cheap accommodation in the heart of Dublin I wasn't expecting The Ritz. And it's something of an understatement to say I certainly didn't get it.

The Clifton Court Hotel is situated on the banks of the River Liffey. And that's about all it has going for it. The rooms are tiny, the walls paper thin - we could hear the couple in the next room's very lively sexual activities - and the stairs leading to the fourth floor are narrow and not for the claustrophobic. The bathroom we had was about the size of a small linen cupboard - and had the constant smell of dampness. All this we could just about put up with - we were only there for a boozy weekend in any case - but what wasn't acceptable was the potential of people's lives being put at risk as happened in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The fire alarm went off at 12.15am for a few seconds before stopping. A false alarm, we thought - until it went off again two minutes later. This time for considerably longer. We threw our clothes on, grabbed our passports and wallets and headed down to reception in a state of fear although not quite panic. The reception was on the first floor and those guests who thought it prudent to make their way down the perilously steep stairway were greeted by a nonchalant young fella behind the desk asking what we were doing. As the fire alarm was still blaring away we rather assumed the building was alight. 'No, no' the fella on duty told us, 'it's only the alarm. It'll be someone smoking in their room - there is no fire'

'How do you know that?' I asked incredulously.
'I don't know for sure but my colleague is away to check the room concerned'
Meanwhile about two dozen startled and frightened guests were looking down from the stairway not sure what to make of it all. 'Is there a fire?' someone asked. 'Apparently they're not sure' I replied somewhat sarcastically.
It transpired there was no fire and it had been a guest allegedly smoking hash in his room - and had compounded the offence by using an air freshener to try and alleviate the smell. But there was no apology from the staff, no organisation and, frighteningly, no proper fire drill procedure that I could see. One couple felt so alarmed they immediately checked out although they also cited the fact their room was so damp it was like sleeping in a fish tank. It could have been a scene straight out Fawlty Towers, the famous BBC sitcom of the 1970s.
The other side of the Dublin coin was the excellent Gallagher's Boxty House in the city's Temple Bar area. The Boxty House serves the best Full Irish Breakfast in Dublin by far! The food was sublime, the service excellent, the staff friendly and efficient. Next time I'm in Dublin it'll be the first place I head for.

If you haven't been to Dublin, I can highly recommend it. I've been there three times now and the city is quite magnificent. Gallagher's Boxty House is a maginifcent traditional Irish pub and serves high quality traditional Irish fare. Sadly, the same can't be said of the Clifton Court Hotel.

I hope I'm not proved right but that establishment could well be a tragedy waiting to happen...

7 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

Shame on the Clifton Court House! I'd have been mad as hell and sleeping with one eye open the rest of my stay.
Glad the rest of the trip was fun. The breakfast sounds fabulous!

Strawberry Girl said...

WOW, that place sounds primeval!! I can't really think of an equivalent here, though I have stayed in some fairly rank (as in not good) motels on my travels through the countryside. I too, hope that no tragedy occurs with such lax policies.

It would be interesting to see what an Irish breakfast consisted of, sounds excellent! Glad you had fun! (Uh, I think...) ;D

Unknown said...

Okay, now I understand what your comment was all about. For your stay at Clifton Court House was certainly rant-inspiring, but change appears to be just too much to hope for.

By the way, I have at least sampled over 60 brands of beer so far, and there are 3 that stand out as being ones that I never ever want to taste again. Guinness is at the top of that list.

miruspeg said...

Hi Mike
Yes with Ireland and especially Dublin you have to take the good with the bad.
I LOVE Ireland and the Irish people. My ex husband and I visited Ireland in 1993 we were not disappointed at all.
It is a magical and amazing place.

Cheers
Peggy
PS I enjoy your visual descriptive writing.

Mike Smith said...

Thank you, Peggy - you're very kind. Welcome to my rants!

Mike Smith said...

Thank you Joanna and SG. Yes, the breakfast was excellent - I'm missing it already! Fishy - you philistine you!

June said...

I love the part where he tells you there is nothing to worry about and go back to your room, THEN says his co-worker is checking out the room to see if it's something to worry about. I'm glad you stayed downstairs, jeez. Were you suppose to go back to your room and if you saw flames and smoke coming out of the hallway into your room, then if you can make it downstairs, you should go then? I had to check with my mom to make sure that wasn't one of the rooms she was staying at when she goes there in September...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...