Thursday 3 September 2009

Gentle Persuasion

PUPILS are being given "get out of class free" cards that allow them to leave lessons if they feel they are about to become disruptive.

The measure has been introduced at Wester Hailes Education Centre in Edinburgh as part of a bid to cut down on the number of children being excluded and could form part of a wider policy in the city. Pupils are given cards they can hand to a teacher giving them permission to leave lessons and calm down.It also emerged that across the city, teachers are being given training in how to defuse heated situations by talking to youngsters in calming voices, introducing "distraction techniques" and using "gentle persuasion" to prevent trouble erupting.

Alex Wood, headteacher of WHEC and a member of the working group developing the new council policy, said the move would not replace exclusion for persistent bad behaviour. He said: "Teachers will be given advice in how to deal with situations like avoiding eye contact, keeping their voice low or removing a kid from class."We can also give kids get out of class cards so if a kid knows they are about to lose it they can give their teacher a card to leave the room to calm down."The policy has been drawn up by the working group, which included headteachers, social workers and educational psychologists, and the information is being sent to schools to establish a "consistent" approach.

From The Scotsman

I look forward to reading about how a teacher had a knife held to their throat by a yobbo but defused the situation by using gentle persuasion and offering them a card. Something I'm sure the thug will appreciate when he's up in court getting a finger wagging from the judge and being told not to do it again...

Now I realise my views will be out of sync with the do-gooders in society. But, instead of handing out cards and using gentle persuasion, how about bringing back corporal punishment - including the use of the belt at school - and national service? That would establish one kind of consistent approach...

6 comments:

Adullamite said...

National Service would be no good, no army wants useless neds these days. However a national service using CSV the volunteer agency, would take many away from their lairs and give them a positive opening.

Knife wielding neds need the birch!
Cheaper than jail, and hurts!

Lilly said...

I knew why I liked you because you talk bloody sense. A get out of jail card - never heard of anything so stupid. Mind you, who would be a teacher these days - feel sorry for them. I do not get it - why do we tip toe around the issues. Bring back the cane I say. There has to be a consequence to bad behaviour. Oh thats right little Jimmy wants to get out of class, hands the teacher a card, she pats him on the back smiling sweetly with a few calm words and Jimmy goes out the back for a cigarette break with all the other disrupters. Grrrrrrrrrrr......I must be getting old and impatient...open up the coal mines again I say and get them into hard labor. That will fix them.

Groanin' Jock said...

What an absolutely ridiculous idea.

Strawberry Girl said...

They are not doing these kids any services by the methods suggested, in fact they are doing them a great disservice and I hope educators get a grip before it is too late.

SG

Joanna Jenkins said...

Huh? Teachers are being taught NOT to make eye-contact??? That's nuts.

June said...

That is so stupid. If I was a student and it was a beautiful day outside, I would tell the teacher that I'm about ready have a fit and skip the class with permission. I remember when I was in elementary school, I think I got paddled one time and after that I really was careful not to act up.

I'm so sick of this gentle approach. One time I was in the grocery store and this little boy was SCREAMING that he wanted a candy bar. His mom gently reminded him that he can't have sweets before dinner, so he hauls off and kicks her (he had little cowboy boots on with a sharp pointy toe), so after grimacing she says, Now honey, you know we talked about kicking mommy...HE KICKS HER AGAIN...and do you know what that stupid woman did??? yep, she gave him the candy bar. OMG I was ready to smack the both of them. This man behind me said under his breath, I've got a belt on and am ready to teach that brat how it's REALLY not okay to do that. Then he said, what's that kid going to be like when he's a teenager. I shudder to think...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...