Thursday 10 September 2009

When There Are Clouds in the Sky

I know I shouldn't really do this but I feel the need to confess something today. Last night, at tea-time, I joined the thronging hordes of people heading for Glasgow. But while around fifty thousand of them were heading for Hampden Park to witness Scotland's latest failed attempt to join the world's elite, I remained in the city centre and headed for the Royal Concert Halls in Buchanan Street. To see Engelbert Humperdink.

At one time I would have qualified a confession like this with the reason that I was accompanying my mother who has been a life-long fan of the Leicester crooner who now spends much of his time in Beverley Hills. And, as a passing pedestrian remarked as we spilled out on to the pleasant September evening after the show, the majority of the audience were of 'the blue-rinse variety'. But, I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Engelbert is now 73 years old but the old-timer hasn't lost his knack of putting on a show. He has always known how to wow his audience who were there to hear his classic hits such as The Last Waltz, Am I That Easy to Forget and, of course, Please Release Me. And he gave his adoring fans a special treat with his rendition of I Belong to Glasgow which damn near took the roof off the Concert Hall. But, given the events of this year in the Smith family, his version of an old classic, the music composed by the star of the silent films Charlie Chaplin, was sublime. I must admit to feeling a lump in the old throat when I heard these words and thought of my daughter Michaela:

Smile tho' your heart is aching,
Smile even tho' it's breaking,
When there are clouds in the sky
You'll get by,
If you smile thro' your fear and sorrow,

Smile and maybe tomorrow,
You'll see the sun come shin-ing thro' for you
Light up your face with gladness,
Hide ev-'ry trace of sadness,

Al -'tho a tear may be ever so near,
That's the time,You must keep on trying,
Smile, what's the use of crying,
You'll find that life is still worth-while,
If you just smile...

Michaela's fiance Billy would have celebrated his 22nd birthday on Monday had he not been taken away so tragically five months ago. Now I've teased my mother about her adoration of Engelbert for many a year and the ribbing I've had from work colleagues and friends about going to the concert last night has been incessant.

But those lyrics and the powerful style with which old Bert delivered them sent a tingle down my spine.

Either that or the old dear sitting behind me dropped her dentures down the back of my shirt...

5 comments:

AmyK said...

I was a big Tom Jones and Engleburt fan, back in the day.

A few years ago, my husband and I saw Tom in Las Vegas. During the show, Husband started chuckling and then laughing until he had tears, all the time trying to be quiet. He finally was able to point and tell me "Look at his crotch". Those trademark tight pants were not hiding anything. There was "something" bent to a true 90 degree angle in those trousers that is not humanly possible without those notes he was singing going much higher. Shame on you Tom..

Mr. Humperdink did not do that.

Strawberry Girl said...

No shame in admiring tallent Mike, that song always brings a tear to my eye.

SG

miruspeg said...

Mike whatever music touches your soul don't let anyone's comment bother you.
How marvelous that Englebert can still belt out a song at 73 years of age.

And on a sadder note what perfect lyrics for your daughter to hear to help her cope next Monday.

Hugs
Peggy

Joanna Jenkins said...

Ahh Mike, I'd have never guessed!
Glad you enjoyed the show, it sounds grand. And yes the song was perfect for Michaela. I hope her heart is mending.

June said...

Yes, Mike, having our punk backgrounds in music, it's hard to tell people that we like some of the music we probably made fun of when we were younger. I admit there are some Barry Manilow and Bee Gee's songs that I sing as loud as I can to when cleaning my apartment...yes, I'll confess too. hee hee. But I do know you are not a fan of either of them.

I do love that song, I sang it last year and a woman started to cry and had to leave. Either she had been through something really awful or I was REALLY awful. lol. I hope Michaela is starting to heal. Glad you had a fun time at the concert!!!

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...