Thursday 29 October 2009

Misery - The Key to Happiness

The key to a happy relationship could be accepting that some miserable times are unavoidable, experts say. Therapists from California State University, Northridge and Virginia Tech say accepting these problems is better than striving for perfection. And they blame cultural fairytales and modern love stories for perpetuating the myth that enjoying a perfect relationship is possible.

From the BBC News Website

Now this news report from 2007 - which I stumbled upon tonight - doesn't reveal anything startling. I got married on 19 June 1982 and it didn't take me long to realise miserable times were ahead - in fact it was the early hours of 20 June 1982...

It's being miserable that keeps me going. First thing in the morning is when I'm at my worst. Another hellish day lies ahead at work; the joys of Edinburgh's public transport system means it will take me at least an hour to get to the office with the inevitable roadworks on at least one part of the journey in adding to this; now winter is here it's dark and raining most mornings; and today I was asked by a colleague at work if I would be joining the Secret Santa charade at the dreaded Office Christmas Party. Ask me in December, I protested although it's a near certainty you'll get the same answer - not bloody likely.

Those cheery types who bounce into the office first thing in the morning with a smile and an irritating 'Hi! How are you?' really irritate the hell out of me. Some people tell me I should adopt a more positive outlook on life and that I will live longer as a result. Which begs the question - why the hell would I want to live longer? Life is pretty shit as it is - and this year has been one helluva year...

So, as the story above says miserable times are unavoidable. As a fortysomething with two daughters and two grandchildren - and another brat on the way - as well as being lumbered with being a fan of Heart of Midlothian FC - you certainly won't find me disagreeing!

6 comments:

Mike Smith said...

Well, my misery was ruined tonight thanks to a very kind lady called Susan who emailed me with news that there were still tickets available for The Specials gig in Edinburgh in a fortnight. How very kind of her to think of others - thank you.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Hey Mike, The way I see is that the year is nearly over and all the crap and sadness and the likes of 2009 will be behind both of us. At least I'm hoping so. I'm looking forward to a clean slate in 2010 :-)

Enjoy The Specials gig!

Strawberry Girl said...

Wow! Too bad that wallowing in misery is not a sport, I think you and Adulamite would be the tops... ;p

Adullamite said...

Misery? Tsk! I am laughing all the time here!






Though folks being cheery and loud at work first thing used to really annoy!

miruspeg said...

Sorry to hear your misery was ruined by an act of kindness Mike!

Then The Specials gig will bring happiness as well.

Misery will be quite lonely for a while without you!!!

Cheers
Peg

Oops I mean Misery, Peg...LOL

Mike Smith said...

Aye, I can't even be miserable without someone spoling it! Don't want any of that joy and happiness here...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...