Monday 11 January 2010

You Wear it Well


I've been using the term 'feeling my age' far more frequently than is good for me recently. Perhaps being a grandfather emphasises that my fondly remembered youth has long gone although things aren't helped when my daughters buy me Christmas gifts such as socks emblazoned with the words 'Drunken Old Fart' and 'Grumpy Old Git'. Whatever can they mean?

I was talking with my esteemed office colleague the other day (Claire, that's you...) about the joys of listening to music on vinyl. The pleasure of buying an album from the record shop with its cover a work of art, the excitement of getting home, carefully removing the record and putting it on the record player, the anticipation as the stylus (that's the needle, Adullamite) scratched its way on to the vinyl and the music began... It occurred to me that perhaps Claire hadn't experienced such pleasure and she confirmed as much when she advised her Dad had told her about records...

Now I'm being somewhat cautious when I admit this but when I was fourteen years of age, one of the many albums I bought was, erm, Rod Stewart's Greatest Hits. Yes, I know, I was young, it was 1976 the year of the scorching summer and my young brain may have been affected by the heat. Of course I should have bought The Faces album instead as Stewart's early stuff - which was quite good - was performed with the band, such as You Wear it Well and Maggie May.

My feeling of ageing wasn't helped when I read that Rod Stewart turned 65 years old yesterday. Officially, he's now an old age pensioner. I wonder if Rod, like me, gets Grumpy Old Git goods as a token of affection from loved ones? Probably not. Then again, he wears it well...

8 comments:

Adullamite said...

"Grumpy Old Git" means 'mature, knowledgeable, experienced.'

June said...

Oh Mike, I had heat stroke too and had that same album of Rod Stewart in the 70s. I used to love going to the record store with friends and spend hours looking through albums. I think I loved the pictures and cover as much as I loved the music. Of course I also looked for the records that came with posters I could hang on my bedroom walls. I just loved it.

I don't think Rod Stewart ever gets grumpy since he has more money than he can ever spend and his wife is a model half his age.

Unknown said...

"Stay With Me" is one of my all-time favorite songs. You and Adullamite would have a really good time seeing me get "all giggy wit it" when that song comes on. I just can't help myself. CRANK IT UP!!!

Anonymous said...

...for all his thirty years and counting discography of buttock-clenching naffness, never lose sight of the 1969-1972 4 album run that stands comparison with any artiste for all-round Top Marks..

1st Lady said...

What's the lyrics to that song again... Yu'll tak the high road and I'll tak' the low road.. and yu'll be an auld age pensioner afoooore me... da da da darra da, de da da da da daaa...

miruspeg said...

Mike hasn't everyone got a Rod Stewart album!! I know I have. Every now and again I sit down on the floor and open the cupboard where my vinyl records are kept and take a trip down memory lane....pure bliss. :)

Mike Smith said...

June - if I had a partner like Rod's I wouldn't be grumpy either...

Fishy - Yep, Stay With Me is a classic.

Peggy - it's a sign of middle age not only possessing a Rod Stewart album - but admitting so!

Lilly said...

I have that album and I still love Mr Stewart. Love him! 65 or not! Age is but a number!

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...