Sunday 17 April 2011

You Never Stop Worrying...



Being a grandad and hurtling towards my half century are, perhaps, contributory factors in one of my more obvious traits i.e. I do tend to have a moan now and then. Now I realise, dear reader, you may find this hard to believe. You're sitting there thinking, surely not, isn't Mr Smith one of the happiest people in the land, never complaining, just getting on with life and always happy with his lot...? Well, I can understand you thinking this.

I woke up this morning at ten minutes to six. I usually waken at six - but today is Sunday, normally a time for a bacon roll and a lie in and a chance to try and recover from the stresses of the week. However, today I just can't get back to sleep. Pressure at work? Money worries? Younger daughter changing jobs and approaching what is a difficult time of the year for her anyway being the anniversary of the passing of her fiance? These don't help. The price of brandy increasing and Heart of Midlothian Football Club doing their best to throw away a place in next season's Europa League? True, this adds to the increase in my blood pressure. The infamous Mrs Smith giving me grief? Not really, as this has been a constant since 1982...

No, my lack of sleep may well be down to thinking about my baby grand-daughter Ava. Three weeks before her first birthday she has been sick for most of this week and there is the possibility she may have to go into hospital if things don't improve. Hopefully, she'll be fine but being a born worrier I'll be happier when she's back crawling around the floor and sinking her newly cut teeth into my fingers. I'll be heading round to see her later today along with her brother and sister who will undoubtedly set about me with their usual gusto.

Children can give you so much love and joy. But no matter how old they are you never stop worrying about them...

4 comments:

Adullamite said...

You, moan? I have never noticed that?
Thinking og Ava.

miruspeg said...

Mike I am so sorry to hear that Ava is feeling poorly. I hope the doctors get to the bottom of the problem very soon.
It is heartbreaking when children are sick. We feel helpless don't we.
Sending heaps of love and light your way and Ava's way.
Big hugs
Peg xxxxxx

Sausage said...

All the best to you and your family, I feel your pain brother. I also lie in bed at night and worry about "Stuff" I can't control why I don't know.
We(DUFC) will be happy to take your spot in Europe next year if you like...

Mike Smith said...

Thanks Adullamite, Peggy and Sausage Fingers. SF - if United beat Hearts to third you will hear my pain!

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...