Sunday 26 February 2012

Reaching the Half Century

          His sullenness disappeared when daughter Laura brought in a bottle of cognac...

Today is a landmark day in the life of the Auld Reekie Ranter - it's my 50th birthday.

As has been noted on this blog recently, the last few weeks have been difficult and there have been some major changes in my life. I have caused a lot of hurt and heartache in doing so and I am truly sorry for the angst I've caused.

Today, and even before today, I have been showered with so much kindness it has damn near brought a tear to my eye. Family, friends and even people I haven't met before  - I'm talking friends of this blog and friends on Facebook - have been so very kind. I genuinely feel I don't deserve such kindness and good wishes and I sit here tonight, alone, feeling very humble.

I really appreciate all of the kind words. I was touched initially by those who thought it hard to believe I have reached the half century - however, this was tempered by further comments that they thought I was 50 several years ago....

I am having a brandy or three tonight to toast those who have made me feel so good today. Thank you.

6 comments:

Adullamite said...

How lovely to be so young!

Mike Smith said...

Shucks!

miruspeg said...

May the next 50 years bring you much happiness and wisdom my friend....and a cognac or two!!!
Big hugs
Peggy xxxxx

Joanna Jenkins said...

Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm sending you wonderful birthday wishes and hoping your 50th year is full of great happiness, Mike.
Cheers to you.
jj

Mike Smith said...

Thank you Peggy and Joanna - you're very kind to the aged!

Stuck At Hame said...

Ever noticed how with these 'age' badges that they get bigger as the age increases...

Any reason for that perchance... ;-)

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...