Sunday 27 July 2014

If You're Thinking of Using BT (part two)

Last September I posted a rant about BT. This was regarding my mother's change of address when she went without her BT landline and broadband services for a few weeks.

Recently, BT contacted my mother to advise her current modem - or Hub - needed to be replaced if she was to acquire the BT Infinity service which, she was told, would mean a faster and more reliable broadband service. My mother agreed and arrangements were made for a Hub to be sent and a date for an engineer to call round and set everything up. The Hub duly arrived - but, you'll not be surprised to learn, nothing else has gone right.

Despite the Hub arriving safely, BT have informed my mother they don't have the correct address details for her. Now you might think a quick phone call to BT would rectify this problem. Oh, no, no, no, no, no. A wee email, perhaps? Hah!

It doesn't help that BT's Customer Service 'help desk' - and I use the term loosely - isn't based in the UK. Going by the countless people I have spoken to in trying to resolve this matter, it appears BT's Customer Service call centre is in India. Now, the people I have spoken to have, for the most part, been friendly. But they simply don't understand the problem. My mother is in her late 70s and trying to get her message across to someone who, it has to be said, struggles with basic English is extremely frustrating and has left her angry and in despair.

I have experienced this at first hand. One person I spoke to didn't seem to know there was a city called Edinburgh and asked me to spell it for her. Others struggle to understand basic English and are clearly following a script from which they must not deviate.

BT have now advised - shockingly - that their Infinity service won't actually be available in my mother's area for some time yet. My mother was told it might be December and the person I spoke to suggested it would be no longer than eight weeks.

All told, this has - yet again - been an absolutely shocking customer experience from BT. I understand they move their call centres to India to save on costs (and by that I mean they probably pay their call centre staff less wages than they would if they were based in the UK) and they're not alone in doing so. However, customers such as my dear old mother are left angry and confused by such  incompetence. Worse still, BT have told both my mother and I that engineers have tried to visit but have found no one was in. This is blatant lies from BT and not for the first time.

As I post this, BT have still not resolved this issue. BT's current advertising campaign for BT Sport has the tagline 'you have to see it to believe it'. The irony isn't lost on my mother. Neither of us believe anything BT tell us now.

If you're thinking of switching to BT then I hope you don't have to deal with their customer service team...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took BT over a year to fix my faulty broadband connection. The connection would drop out on a daily basis and sometimes stay down for a number of hours. My communication with BT included dozens of phone calls to the Indian call cantres, which resulted in about a ten different visits from engineers, none of whom were able to permanently fix the problem. Everyu visit was a lost morning/afternoon at work.

The fault was eventually fixed remotely after I demanded to make a formal complaint. I asked for compensation and they advised that they do not compensate for intermittent faults! Absolutely disgusted with BTs customer service, easily the worst I have ever encountered.

Anonymous said...


It took BT over a year to fix my faulty broadband connection. The connection would drop out on a daily basis and sometimes stay down for a number of hours. My communication with BT included dozens of phone calls to the Indian call cantres, which resulted in about a ten different visits from engineers, none of whom were able to permanently fix the problem. Everyu visit was a lost morning/afternoon at work.

The fault was eventually fixed remotely after I demanded to make a formal complaint. I asked for compensation and they advised that they do not compensate for intermittent faults! Absolutely disgusted with BTs customer service, easily the worst I have ever encountered.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...