Wednesday 23 December 2009

A Tough Year





It's almost upon us. The time of year when people get together, exchange gifts, eat too much, drink too much and try to forget about work and the stresses and strains of everyday life. For some, however, Christmas can be a difficult time, particularly for those who have lost loved ones during the year.

My youngest daughter Michaela lost her fiance in tragic circumstances last April and this has been well-documented in this blog. She's a bit like her Dad in that she'll put on a front and not want people to fuss over her. 'I'm fine and I can cope' is her forthright message to anyone who shows concern. This doesn't stop me worrying about her. She'll be feeling her loss acutely as Christmas Day approaches. It'll be the little things like not having to look for a present for Billy; not sharing Christmas Day with him; not wondering what he's bought her as a present. She'll see other couples radiate happiness and simply be with each other at a time of the year when being with one another means everything. Michaela won't want me saying this but I'll be giving her an extra hug this Christmas Day - I can only try to imagine how tough it will be for her but she knows her mother and I will be there for her.

I know some readers of this blog have also suffered personal loss this year and my thoughts are with them too. To everyone who has read my ramblings this year, thank you for doing so. I wish each and every one of you a wonderful Christmas and hope 2010 is everything you want it to be.

6 comments:

Groanin' Jock said...

Wishing you better times in 2010 - hope you and your family have a good Christmas.

miruspeg said...

Mike, I too think of the people less fortunate than myself especially this time of year.
Give Michaela that extra hug and then another and another....she will need all of them.
I have immensely enjoyed reading your ramblings and look forward to what you have to offer in 2010.
Merry Christmas and may all your dreams come true in 2010.
Hugs
Peggy xxxx

Adullamite said...

Hard times can only be gone through, there is nothing left to do but go on through them.

Thinking of you all this Christmas.

Anonymous said...

link that I am using as a Christmas Card.....

http://www.aroundmd.com/whitechristmas/

All the best Mike.Also thoughts with Michaela.

Unknown said...

May you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Strawberry Girl said...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and that you have a Happy New Year!!

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...