Saturday 20 December 2008

Hot Stuff...



So there we were, at the office night out,enjoying a nice meal in Khushis Indian restaurant in Edinburgh. Having enjoyed my chicken pakora, I had just finished my chicken bhuna when my colleague Claire stares open-mouthed at the kitchen directly opposite our table and says....'Fire!'

At that the kitchen staff run out the kitchen and the waiters begin telling people to leave immediately. Initially we thought it was just an over-heated oven or something similar but as we made our way downstairs the smell of burning became stronger. Once outside it soon became apparent this was a serious situation and the building was well alight.

We watched from across the street as firefighters and ambulances quickly appeared on the scene. The roof of the restaurant collapsed soon after and the flames shot into the freezing cold Edinburgh sky.

It was only afterwards, while in the pub, that we realised how lucky we were. Ten minutes from the likelihood of this blog being discontinued.

Thankfully no one was hurt. But it's not a situation I care to be in again.

10 comments:

MrsAshleyPascal said...

Oh bloody dear! I was just reading about this on the Edinburgh Evening News page. So so glad you and everyone else are well. What a nightmare.

Game tomorrow should be a cracker! I predict we will win 2 -1.

Stay safe!

Melissa

June said...

Oh Mike, I'm so glad you are okay. How scary. I don't know what I would do if my favorite Scotsman was part of that Indian Restaurant's Tandoori oven. Very big hugs to you!!!

Adullamite said...

Yes, yes, but did you avoid paying the bill?

Lilly said...

Oh my gosh that is terrifying. That would have been a shock!! That is a really nice restaurant too or it was..

I accidentally knocked over a candle in a German Restaurant tree years ago at this time while going to the ladies and wasnt aware that it fell on a ladies handbag and set it on fire. My family dragged me out of there as quickly as they could. No damage though.

Some chef is in big trouble I would suggest. The thing is the flames spread fast....hope they were insured.

Glad you are safe I kind of like your blog Mike!!

Mike Smith said...

Thanks for your kind words folks. And Adullamite - yes we did avoid paying the bill!

Anonymous said...

And then on the way to meet Matt I got a taxi down the road (which was ambushed by 2 men who wanted to go to George Street and thought they'd share the journey! - needless to say I was not in the mood for chit chat!!) I got out the taxi on George Street on the corner of Frederick street and heard a loud bang followed by smoke and then sirens (the second major fire of the evening for Lothian and Borders fire brigade). Time to go home.... See you tomorrow. Claire

blah said...

Greetings Mike!

Was that an HR night you were on? You didn't let slip to someone in Care & Support where you'd be that night did you?

Mike Smith said...

Hello young Adam!

I suspected after Aberdeen's flukey result on Saturday that you may be on here!

Hope the new job is going well. Haste ye back!

McGonagall said...

What about the Liquid Room? Out of action for a while - folks looking for venues. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

As a forty-something Scot from Edinburgh now living in England I remember Khushi's from the 1980s when it was all formica tables and good, cheap fare. I hope it's not just a pile of toast now ...

8-)

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...