Thursday 18 December 2008

Time Called on Talk107

Nearly three years after going on air, Edinburgh's speech-based radio station Talk107 is to close down. The station's financial problems were well documented and today the station's owners UTV Radio announced they were handing back the licence to the industry regulator Ofcom.

I've not listened to Talk107 that much recently but have enjoyed the likes of Scott Wilson on the breakfast programme. Scott is also the stadium announcer for Heart of Midlothian FC and there is no one better. A man of his undoubted broadcasting talent will surely surface elsewhere.

In May 2006 Talk107 kindly plugged my book Hearts - The Diary of an Incredible Season (still available etc. etc.) I was a guest on Gordon Dallas' Kickabout programme in the distinguished company of Hearts legend Gary Mackay. It was quite nerve-wracking and I wasn't helped by suffering from Manflu but it was nonetheless a hugely enjoyable experience.

The station is due to close on Christmas Eve - what a time to close down! I wish all the presenters all the very best - hopefully some of them will be back on the airwaves before long.

5 comments:

Lilly said...

Sad and a sign of the times I guess. I think we will see this more and more.

You had manflu - so what you are saying is you had a minor cold then, right?

Where do you get you book - I have friend whois a mad Hearts supporter from way back - have you advertised it on your blog or have I missed it somewhere?

Mike Smith said...

Men don't get minor colds, Lilly!

The 'Diary' is available from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hearts-Incredible-Season-Mike-Smith/dp/1845020871/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229671992&sr=8-16

Or there's also Follow the Hearts, a more personal account of being a Hearts supporter:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Follow-Hearts-Mike-Smith/dp/1904623077/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229671992&sr=8-1

MrsAshleyPascal said...

Minor Cold.........LMAO! To the normal person, aye .....minor cold it is......but to Mike........its Man Flu. For Christmas I was thinking of buying him a few boxes of Kleenex and a large box of LemSip :P

Melissa

June said...

Same thing is happening in the United States, one of my favorite talk radio stations has also bit the dust. I turned it on one morning and there was some Country music playing...so sad. No warning at all - just like Mike's Manflu...

Mike Smith said...

That's a very kind offer Melissa! Achoo!
I'm not so sure about the Jambos today - but where they're concerned I never am!

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...