Wednesday 30 December 2009

The Ranter's Farewell to 2009

Gig of the year: 2009 has been a good year for The Ranter in terms of seeing some pretty decent gigs. Lily Allen, The Beat and, erm, Engelbert Humperdink were all class acts. The best, however, was The Specials in Edinburgh in November. Thirty years on the rude boys still have it all! Bad Manners tonight will round off a great year for music.

Best Local Gig: Undoubtedly, The Skababs - Edinburgh’s finest. Aye, aye, aye!

Best film seen: I’ve not been to the cinema much this year - going to see that old classic It’s a Wonderful Life at the Filmhouse in Edinburgh just before Christmas was probably the highlight.

Best comedian: The Edinburgh Festival is always a great event for comics. Alistair McGowan was in good form at The Mound in August.

Most excitement at a football match: Not at Tynecastle, sadly, but at Ochilview Park, Larbert in August when East Stirlingshire came from three goals down to draw level with SPL side St. Mirren. The Saints full-time fitness told in the end and they won 6-3 but it was a hugely entertaining afternoon. The Shire are on the up!

Trip of the year: Dublin in July. A beautiful city, wonderful people and a cooked Irish breakfast to die for!

Book of the Year: Jack Dee’s Thanks for Nothing. A wonderful read from one of the best stand-up comedians in the country.

Best Television Show: BBC’s The Thick of It. Is there a better character actor than Peter Capaldi? His portrayal of political spin doctor Malcolm Tucker blew me away.
Best Radio Show: BBC Radio Four's I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue has retained its excellency, even after the sad death of presenter Humphrey Lyttelton. The aforementioned Jack Dee has done a fine job of filling the great man's shoes.

Quote of the Year: From daughter Michaela when she drove into Tesco’s car park, parked in a disabled parking space near the front of the store and told her mother as she left the vehicle ‘Don’t forget to limp…

Most devious behaviour of the year: Two year old grand-daughter Hannah who has ended 2009 with the complete set of the Smith family wrapped round her little finger. ‘Wasn’t me, Papa, it was Jack’ as she flashes those blue eyes melts me every time. I need to be strong in 2010...

Whatever Happened to?
Ally Kerr - the brilliant musician/songwriter from Glasgow didn’t appear in Edinburgh this year. I know he had a successful tour in Japan - but come back this way, Ally. We need you!

Mixu Paatelainen - the Hibs manager wasn’t producing enough Brazilian flair in the wee team and left at the end of last season. Where is he now I wonder? Also, former Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood - although I suspect he can probably be found in a tanning salon in Govan
Still Game - what’s with the repeat this Hogmanay, fellas? Have Jack and Victor gone to The Clansman in the sky?

First Bus Edinburgh - have they given up on the people of Midlothian at Christmas and New Year? Certainly seems like it. Meanwhile, the vastly superior Lothian Buses are coining it in…

Happy New Year, dear reader. My rants will resume in 2010...

5 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

Great list Mike! It sounds like you had a busy and fun 2009. Here's hoping 2010 brings you great happiness and much to rant about. I'll be reading!

Cheers,
jj

e said...

I wish you a wonderful Hogmanay, Creakie! Bliadhna Mhath Ùr, ma trusty fiere. Lizzy :)

Adullamite said...

It is almost noon, I suspect you may be rising soon!#Oh for the Ne'erday derby to return! Then a quick trip to Dunfermline the next day. How life was better in the past! :)

miruspeg said...

Interesting post summing up the year Mike. My attention span or short term memory is not as good as yours. I can't remember what I did last week unless I look up my diary!
But I do remember going to some interesting gigs...Jackson Browne and Fleetwood Mac and I am sure I saw some good films and read some good books but have no idea what they were called.

Loved your quote of the year!!

Look forward to more rants and raves me old mate!

Hugs
Peggy xxxx

1st Lady said...

Lothian buses.. gotta love em.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...