Saturday 12 April 2008

Rock On and On and On...


I was at the Red Hot Chilli Pipers gig in Edinburgh at The Liquid Room on Thursday evening. It was hugely enjoyable and the Pipers showed why they're one of the hottest (if you'll pardon the pun) acts in Scotland today. And the support act - Irish singer/songwriter Paul Casey - was also impressive. You can't beat seeing a live act. But sometimes - okay, most of the time - I do feel my grandfather status making an impact...

Some things that have always happened at gigs are now beginning to irritate me. I purchased the tickets on-line and, not trusting the postal service in Dalkeith one little bit, arranged to collect them at the box office on Thursday evening. From 7.00pm my confirmation e-mail said and when we got there at 7.20 there was a queue down Victoria Street that stretched very nearly down to the Grassmarket. And on a chilly April evening we had to wait.

On eventual arrival at the box office it transpired that our tickets had been given to another customer called Smith but, credit to the girl at the counter, she let us in on receipt of the printed confirmation I had brought with me. Now The Liquid Room has staged many a fine gig over the years but, being somewhat claustraphobic, I've never been totally at ease there. At least now Scotland has the ban on smoking in public places you no longer feel like an Arbroath smokie.

Much as I enjoyed The Pipers - and they are a superb act - I felt the intimacy of the venue didn't do them any favours. Perhaps the larger Corn Exchange would have been more appropriate as the band seemed to struggle initially with the sound system at the smaller Liquid Room. And, at 46, standing for nearly three hours didn't do my back any good!

But this is down to me getting old! Twenty years ago I would have headed to the nearest pub from such a gig and toasted such musical talent into the wee small hours, even with work due the next day. Two decades, two kids, two grandchildren and two mortgages later, it's leaving a couple of minutes early to avoid the stampede to get out and straight on the bus home to a cup of Horlicks and bed!

Rather appropriately after watching the Red Hot Chilli Pipers, I'm off to find my pipe and slippers and a quiet night in....


2 comments:

Inchy said...

I gave The Demon's wee brother my tickets to see 'Editors' last year, because I just couldn't be arsed dragging myself off the couch. Sad times.

Adullamite said...

Tsk!

That's not age, that's maturity Mike......:)

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...