Monday 7 July 2008

Magnificent Krakow



I had a fabulous weekend in Poland. Krakow is a wonderful city, a beautiful inspiring place. I arrived there early Friday afternoon and headed for the Salt Mines just outside the city. Saturday I went on a walking tour of the city centre which was wonderful and lasted nearly three hours. And on Sunday the most moving part of the weekend was the trip to Auschwitz Birkenau. That was truly a humbling experience. The guided tour there lasted the best part of four hours and I felt a lump in my throat on more than one occasion. That people can commit such awful atrocities to their fellow human beings is beyond comprehension.

Krakow is only two and a half hours flight away from Edinburgh and I'll likely return there at some point. Particularly as the local beer is only five Zloties - less than £2 - a pint! Although there was some rain on Saturday night, the weather on Sunday was sunny and hot - must have been close to 80 degrees.

One thing about the weekend though - and this perhaps shows my advancing years - is that I'm absolutely knackered! I don't think I've walked so much in three days in my entire life!

I can highly recommend Krakow with its magnificent historical buildings, great food and drink and friendly citizens. It's been a hidden gem for so long.

3 comments:

Adullamite said...

I've often thought of putting 'Mike S' and 'Salt mines' together.....

Mike Smith said...

The infamous Mrs Smith often thought likewise...

MrsAshleyPascal said...

Glad your back!

Melissa

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...