Tuesday 9 June 2020

Text Speak

No money was given to Hannah during the taking of this photograph. Well, perhaps just a small sum...

I saw something on t'internet today about an animation course open to children aged 13-18 in Scotland and thought this would be right up grand-daughter Hannah's street. She is fast approaching those dreaded teenage years. I sent her the link and, unusually for the elder two of my grandchildren, she replied within minutes.

'I saw this and thought of you' I said in my message, trying to be a dutiful Papa.

'That's what I'm doing in art rn' Hannah replied.

Art RN? I pondered for some time about what this was. Is this what they call art and design at school these days? Eventually the penny dropped, admittedly from a long height.

RN is text speak for 'right now'.

I have a horrible feeling that, before long, having communication with Jack and Hannah may need the help of an interpreter.


4 comments:

Adullamite said...

Hieroglyphics is the way forward.

er, no money changed hands...?

Mike Smith said...

I gave her an old sixpence...

miruspeg said...

What a cheery photograph of you both.
I do enjoy reading your posts Mike, they always make me smile.
Yes text speak is a new language we have to learn to keep in touch with the youngins.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxx


Mike Smith said...

Thanks, Peggy. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...