Saturday 31 January 2009

Being a Friend

Thank you for being a friend
Travelled down a road and back again
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant
I'm not ashamed to say
I hope it always will stay this way
My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow

Andrew Gold had a hit with that song many moons ago and, yes, it's one of the more cheesy ditties around. He also had a hit with Lonely Boy so I suspect he was trying to tell us something...

But in an increasingly busy and, it has to be said as the world's economy collapses like a deck of cards, despondent life, the importance of friendship can not be underestimated. The definition of friendship would appear to be changing in this technological age. In years gone by people would grow up together as schoolfriends, neighbours, colleagues and be physically there to provide support during times of trouble and to share happiness when joyful times came. Now the world is a much smaller place and friendship doesn't have to mean actually being there in person - the age of the internet, e-mail and mobile phone can bring someone hundreds, even thousands of miles away close to you. And that person can share your inner thoughts and feelings and give support even from afar.

I'm no different from anyone else in that I've got to know many people over the years. A good many of them have came into my life and enhanced it but have drifted away again. True friends, however, keep in touch, keep in regular contact. They ask how you are, they ask how your family is, they take a genuine interest in what you're up to. They do so because they care - and I care about them. These are the people who mean most to me, the ones who if they disappeared from my life for whatever reason would leave an empty space that may never be filled.

And to those people, my pals, my confidants, I'm aware I don't say it as often as I should. But - thank you for being a friend.

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Oh what a good post. Andrew Gold, yes I wouldnt have remembered his name but certainly remember the songs. Bit like Eric Carmen I was mad about him too.

True friendship to me is being able to tell a person anything and they blow the bad stuff away and only remember the good stuff.

Great post

June said...

That was really nice Mike. I want to thank you too, thanks for "being there" for me...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...