Monday 30 December 2019

That Was The Year That Was - 2019


So farewell then 2019. It’s been another eventful year for the Auld Reekie Ranter so at the risk of boring my dear reader to death I’ll try and highlight the salient points.

Family Fortunes

The year began with a visit to Marion’s brother and sister-in-law in Morecambe in Lancashire. Despite being with Marion for eight years I had never met Rab and Izzie and Marion had lost contact with them - it had been more than a decade since she last saw them. There had been the occasional text – mainly at birthdays – but when they couldn’t make our wedding in 2015 Marion felt it was the final curtain being drawn on her relationship with her sibling.

However, when an invite came – via Facebook as is the way these days – to come to Rab’s grandson’s 18th birthday bash in January I suggested we accept and head across the border. Marion reluctantly agreed – she still felt snubbed by their non-attendance at our wedding – and we travelled for an overnight stay.

It turned out to be a brilliant occasion. I was made extremely welcome by Rab and Izzie and to see Rab and Marion embrace after so many years was joyous. The real lump in the throat came at the end of the evening on the dance floor. When Don’t Look Back in Anger by Oasis was played as the final tune of the night, Rab, Izzie, Marion and I linked arms and gave each other huge hugs. It was a night to build bridges and not only had the bridge been built it had been extended. We met Rab and Izzie again the following month when they visited Edinburgh and we returned to Lancashire in August, meeting up for a meal and a couple of half pint shandies in August.

For those with family feuds, it shows what can be done. Life is too short.


Marion and her brother Rab - clearly in need of a pint after seeing her again
Moving Experience

If January was a moving experience emotionally April was to be a moving experience physically. Marion and I moved to a new house and there was a bit of emotion for the missus given she had lived in her house for 17 years and it was the home she shared with her mother who passed away in 2008. But move we did and we’re now in the Abbeyhill area of Edinburgh in a brand new flat. It was the first time in my adult life I had moved into a house no one else had lived in before. Despite a few teething problems things seem to be settling down and the fact we’re just a 20-minute walk away from Waverley Station and Princes Street and a 15-minute walk away from the Edinburgh Playhouse – where I continue to review various performances for The Edinburgh Reporter – is a bonus. 

Family Matters

Meeting Marion’s brother and sister-in-law was a real thrill and my own family continue to be a real source of pride. Grandson Jack is growing into a fine young man – it’s hard to believe he’ll be 15 in May - and he continues to excel at school. Gold Merit Awards are commonplace for the lad now and he has a clear vision of what he wants to do. But more importantly, he is an exceptionally well-behaved and courteous young man. He and I continue to go to Hearts games together at Tynecastle and it’s a real pleasure to be in his company. I try and encourage him in everything he does but, being a Scot of course, there’s the odd occasion when he has to be reminded that no one likes a smart arse! But I am really proud of how he is turning out and what he has already achieved at such a young age.


Numbers 1 and 5 - Jack and Daniel (it has a certain ring to it)
His sisters, Hannah and Ava also do their old Papa proud. Hannah is fast approaching those dreaded teenage years, and this can occasionally be reflected in attempts to engage with her in conversation! She is now in her first year at secondary school and there are already signs she is following in her big brother’s footsteps. But Hannah being Hannah, I get the feeling she’s going to sail through life. When she got a silver award for a school project recently I asked her what the project was. She replied she couldn’t remember!

Ava is also doing well at primary school and she at least still asks her Papa if she can stay for a sleepover – this appears now to be distinctly uncool for her older brother and sister. One thing that hasn’t changed this year is her mischievousness. I call her Google now as she has an answer for everything…

And then there’s the baby of the family – (not so) little Daniel who is now nearly 15 months old and has started to take his first steps. When he sits on his Papa’s knee while being regaled by old Hearts songs I can tell he laps it up (no, honestly…) However, the chant of ‘Can You Hear the Hibees Sing? No, No’ has resulted in Daniel shaking his head. I was quite proud of this until his mother Laura pointed out that when she shouts NO! at him when he touches something he shouldn’t he just shakes his head…An unfortunate behavioural trait I’m getting blamed for…

Sadly, I don’t see as much of Laura’s sister Michaela and her wee boy Max. This has been a sticking point this year – as it was last. Did I say life is too short earlier? Hmm…

My mother turned 83 years old three weeks back and her health, sadly, is beginning to fail. Mentally she is as sharp as a tack but physically she struggles. This time last year she was on the waiting list for a hip replacement operation. She’s still waiting…


Jack, Hannah and Ava showing their Papa the respect he deserves...

Highlights

As well as seeing Marion’s brother and sister-in-law and moving to a new house other highlights included seeing various shows through my Edinburgh Reporter role. This has, on occasion,  seen Marion and I hob-knobbing it with various ‘celebs’ including newsreader Catriona Shearer (we shared a table with her and her husband at the Faulty Towers Dining Experience press night at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August) Sanjeev Kohli (of Still Game fame), comedians Ricky Tomlinson and Craig Hill and Hearts stars Clevid Dikamona, Sean Clare and Oliver Bozanic when I received my ‘plot’ presentation at Tynecastle back in January. 

We’ve enjoyed a veritable plethora of shows and performances throughout 2019. Concerts have included Michael Bublé in Leeds, Paul Weller at Edinburgh Castle (where the forecasted thunder and lightning thankfully materialised) and the always brilliant Madness at Princes Street Gardens.

Shows have included American Idiot, Jersey Boy, Joseph, Matilda, Club Tropicana, The Bodyguard, Faulty Towers – The Dining Experience, Colin Cloud, Craig Hill, Around the World in the 80s, Mamma Mia!, Priscilla – Queen of the Desert, 9 to 5 and Disney’s The Lion King.

Sporting Events

It’s been a year to forget for the once mighty Heart of Midlothian FC although we did get to the Scottish Cup Final in May. Inevitably, we lost to Celtic 2-1, but it was Jack’s first cup final and when the Maroons unexpectedly took the lead early in the second half the laddo was smelling glory. But an old Hearts hand like me knew what was coming – Celtic scored twice, and it was another afternoon of disappointment for the Gorgie Boys.


Business News

My hypnotherapy business continues to do well although staff shortages at my other job in human resources at the University of Edinburgh have had an impact. But bookings for hypnotherapy consultations for 2020 are being taken now: email mike.smith@mgs-hypnotherapy-services.co.uk

Those Who Have Left Us

The deaths of Ranking Roger, lead singer of The Beat, comedian Jeremy Hardy, football legend Billy McNeill, and one of my Hearts heroes from the 1970s, Bobby Prentice all left a mark on me. As I type this post, news has also broken of the sudden death of Neil Innes, comic genius behind The Rutles.

My Raison d'être

Throughout all of this has been the most important person in my life, my wife Marion. This hasn’t been the easiest of years for her. Last month she was admitted to hospital following chest pains and has been diagnosed with a heart condition (I think people are getting weary of me asking who knew she had a heart?) It’s something she and I now have to live with but it’s obviously a real concern. My father died very suddenly in 1997 of a heart ailment. He was only 58 years old. Marion is at that same age now and the possibility of lightning striking twice is at the forefront of my mind. Without Marion, my life would cease to have any real meaning. Yes, I have two daughters and five fabulous grandchildren whom I love dearly but they have their own lives to lead. I’m optimistic Marion will continue to live a full and active life but the impact of my father’s passing nearly 23 years ago has left an indelible mental scar and a propensity to think the worst. 


The lovely Marion (it says here)



Who knows what 2020 will bring. Life for everyone is one big challenge and there are many people with far bigger challenges than I. All I can hope for is health and happiness. Oh, and for Hearts to avoid relegation in the spring…

All the very best for the New Year, dear reader. May 2020 be everything you want it to be.

4 comments:

Adullamite said...

The family are turning out the right way.
I blame granddad!
Hopefully better things will come your way next year to add to the many good things you already possess.

Mike Smith said...

I get blamed for everything! Cheers, Mr H.

miruspeg said...

2019 sounds like it came up mostly trumps for you Mike.
May 2020 bring you great happiness my friend.
Big heart hugs
Peggy xxxx

Mike Smith said...

Thanks, Peggy. It was a difficult year in some respects but there were some positives. I hope you're well and managing to stay safe. I've been watching the news reports from down under and it is heartbreaking. Take care, my friend.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...