Sunday 9 August 2009

A Long Life

The state pension retirement age could be increased further, the UK's pensions regulator has told the BBC. David Norgrove said rising life expectancy meant millions of people would "undoubtedly" have to wait longer in future to draw a state pension. People will not save as much for retirement as in the past, with many people "frightened" to do so, he said.

The state pension age is due to rise to 68, and Pensions Minister Angela Eagle said there were no plans to raise that.

From the BBC News Website

Sometimes I just don't know what to believe. On the one hand, we have health experts telling us that more people die of heart disease in Scotland than anywhere else in Europe. This, we are told, is mainly down to poor diet with too much fatty foods. Scots penchant for the 'chippy' and Chinese and Indian takeaways is a popular as ever despite the recession. I have to say I'm prone to these myself and I know many other people who share similar culinary tastes. There are also those ecologists who tell us the planet is on the verge of extinction as a result of me leaving my television on standby every night instead of switching it off at the mains. Violent crime is also apparently on the increase. If one was to read all of those stories consecutively, one may assume we'll all be dead by the end of next week. We're all doomed...

On the other hand we have other 'experts' tell us that life expectancy is higher than ever and that the human race is getting much older. Advances in medicine and a realisation that eating habits need to change, we need to drink less and stop smoking altogether mean people are living much longer than in years gone by. In fact, some experts believe some humans may live until they're 150 in the not so distant future. It would be childish of me at this point to mention a blogging friend of some note, Adullamite, who can't be far away from becoming the first of that ilk... In any case, given the concerns raised above does anyone want to live longer?

Britain recently lost two of its very senior citizens. Harry Patch, the last Briton to have served in the First World War, died aged 111 while a few days earlier Britain's oldest citizen Henry Allingam took his last breath at 113. Why did those two gentlemen live so long? The reasons are unclear although I loved Mr Allingham's reply when he was asked the secret to old age. 'Cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women!' he replied. I suspect Mr Allingham died with a smile on his face!

My father died at 58 and his father died at 45. So the chances of me receiving a message from the King to celebrate by 100th birthday are slim to say the least. As a father and grandfather, naturally I wish to live as long as possible to see my family try and achieve happiness and for little Jack and Hannah to grow up to be responsible, talented and popular adults. However, Ladbrokes are giving long odds I'll reach pensionable age.

Which, thanks to those health experts, is becoming further out of reach. That said, I have an unopened bottle of whisky in the cupboard. I'm off to the shops for twenty Embassy Regal - while I'm away if any wild, wild woman fancies getting in touch...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder if those who are too dumb to die are taken into account in those surveys.

Lilly said...

Well its happened here - they have raised the retirement age. Anyone born in 1960 onwards, the retirement age goes up one year. Given the lower birth rate and people living longer it is a real issue. Drugs and medical intervention are keeping people alive for longer which may not be such a good thing.

Unless retirees are self funded governments wont be able to afford to fund their retirement with measly pensions. I notice they are also encouraging people here to stay in the workforce longer which I think is a great thing. Even part-time. My grandparents retired at 65 I guess and lived until they were in their late 90s - that was a long time retired and they were healthy for most of it.

Thats why I am going a bit health mad - I wont live as long as them unless I get a bit more serious about exercise and diet. I hate it but I have to do it...and I hope you live a bit longer than your father and your grandfather too. They went far too soon. I think its the deep fried food the Scots love hey - its a weather thing too. I got used to it while there as well. Interesting times we live in. I do wonder what will happen but I love the fact that old people will be ruling the world one day running around town in gangs and terrorising youth, lol!!

June said...

Yes I remember when I got my first retirement statement (I was expecting it to say 65, I was so disappointed) it stated that I won't collect any money until I was 68 but if I continued working until 70, I would get quite a bit more. That's an incentive to stay longer. Which in my book just stinks. I am the kind of person that stays busy constantly but I hope I live long enough to enjoy not having to go to work and just play, hopefully I'll still be singing, Rosemary Clooney still sang into her 70s and look at Tony Bennet, he's still singing in his 80s (I think he's still alive).

I know what Lilly means, in order for me to enjoy those few years after my retirement I need to get my butt in gear and get on a much stricter exercise and healthy regime. My mom is 70 and still on the go constantly, even with some health issues here and there. It is amazing looking at the elderly now and seeing some people spry as 30 year olds with energy to spare, while others the same age can barely walk and have given up on life. I hope I am one of those wild women when I get old, although I'm not that wild now so who knows...I just want to always be young at heart and happy.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...