Saturday 29 August 2009

Avoid Disappointment

And so it begins...

Among the multitude of rubbish on television on Saturday evening was a programme on the Ideal World shopping channel. It's nearly the end of August so, yes, you've guessed - it was Countdown to Christmas. A wee woman, without a trace of shame, sat in front of the camera with a fully decorated Christmas tree behind her, holly and ivy spread around the studio, and spoke about spreading the cost of Christmas.

I've already had several shopping catalogues pushed through my letterbox with a big fat man with a white beard and wearing a red suit and black boots urging me to buy early for Christmas - and avoid disappointment. Too late on this last statement, fella - my intention was to try and avoid Christmas all together but there's fat chance (every pun intended) of doing that even before September begins.

And it's not just Christmas.

Travelodge have sent me an e-mail offering me 'Special Spring Offers for 2010'. Apparently I can book selected rooms for just £12 per night- from 1 January to 30 April. 1 January? Spring? As I pass through Cameron Toll Shopping Centre in Edinburgh there are huge posters on travel shop windows urging me to book early for summer 2010. No doubt to avoid disappointment...

It's small wonder that the older one gets the quicker time seems to go. Having been on holiday last week the past seven days have certainly whistled past. Come Monday morning, however, normal business will be resumed.

In these recession hit times I can understand why some companies are looking ahead to gain customers - forward planning and all that. But I would quite like to see what autumn has to offer first, turn the clocks back an hour and see through Halloween, Guy Fawkes Night and St. Andrews Day before even thinking about the dreaded period of Christmas...

...and booking my spring holiday in January...

3 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm with you. It's 103 degrees in Los Angeles and Christmas is the last thing on my mind!

Hope you're having a good weekend Mike.

Unknown said...

Way too little. Way too late.

Lilly said...

Oh I havent noticed it here yet but I guess this is the time of year the retailers live for. I just never read any catalogues at all and hate shopping now. UM,,,except online....

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...