Thursday 6 March 2008

Some Things Are Infinitely More Important

It's been a bit of a crappy week at work. Tuesday, in particular, was one of those days that we all have when just about everything that can go wrong does go wrong and you think the whole world is against you. But then you sit back and think about what some other people are having to contend with.

I read a news story on the BBC on Tuesday about a young lad in Stirlingshire who has a severe facial deformity. He is about to undergo major and lengthy surgery as he is fearful about what will happen to him when he goes to secondary school for the first time in the summer. The courage of that young laddie made me feel humble and it goes without saying that I hope everything goes well with his operation.

Then, I met an old mate for a pint or three last night. I hadn't seen Rob for a while and he told me his 18 year old son had been involved in a serious road accident a few weeks back and, for a time, was in intensive care. Thankfully, he's on the road to recovery now and indeed joined us for a drink last night. But what he - and his Dad and immediate family - must have went through can only be imagined.

And there's also a very good friend of mine from Seattle who is undergoing hospital tests as I type this message. June is one of the most wonderful people I know and her positive outlook and encouragement makes her a gem. My thoughts are with her.

So, really, my week hasn't been that bad at all. Not when you think about what some other people are going through.

For once, tonight, my glass is half full...

1 comment:

June said...

Oh Mike, thank you for thinking of me. It was very unnerving but thankfully nothing to worry about. So I'm with you, there are lots of people out there that have it WAY worse off, so I'm doing really good right now.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...