Monday 17 November 2008

Cumbernauld: A Love Song



A Scottish musician has penned a love song dedicated to a town described as the "most dismal" in Scotland. Carolyn McGoldrick is releasing Cumbernauld: A Love Song to raise money for children with cancer.

The former resident of the infamous Lanarkshire town was given a cultural grant by North Lanarkshire Council to fund the recording of the single. She said she wrote the song as a reaction to all the publicity the town had suffered in recent years.

The song is currently available to download from Carolyn's website and is being released on CD in the next few weeks.

From the BBC News website
Like Carolyn, I also grew up in Cumbernauld - late 60s/early 70s - and I love the place! I used to live in McGregor Road, just a short walk away from the shopping centre. Although I moved away when still quite young and I now live in Edinburgh, I still hold a lot of affection for Cumbernauld. Some people put on a face when I say I grew up there - but I'm proud to say I lived there. I still try and visit when I can as it holds a lot of special memories for me, of a time when my parents were still together, of friends and happy occasions.

Carolyn is a very talented musician this song and others can be heard at her excellent website http://www.carolynmcgoldrick.com/

The single is out in December and it's an extremely worthwhile cause.

5 comments:

Lilly said...

I really like her music I have to say - and not a bear skin in sight - so she is safe to listen to? Nice to see putting bck to where they came from. Is it really the most dismal town in Scotland?

Mike Smith said...

Not at all - Cumbernauld is a braw place! Have a peek at her website where you can download her songs.

Colin Campbell said...

I was born in Glenrothes. Another lovely spot in Scotland. I escaped, aged 2 to a life in the country.

I have never been to Cumbernauld, but I have heard lovely things about it.

Adullamite said...

Dear oh dear. Where is the Luftwaffe when you need them....?

Mike Smith said...

Adullamite - you must recall your experiences of hiding from them during the war...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...