Sunday 29 March 2009

Butch Cassidy Meets Gregory's Girl


There aren't many films I choose to watch more than once. But tonight there are two on television which are among my favourite flicks. Firstly, the excellent Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the Oscar-winning western comedy drama from 1969. Paul Newman and Robert Redford are just wonderful as the outlaws whose penchant for robbing banks has them on the run constantly. This film brings back memories for me of returning to Cumbernauld in 1970 for the first time since my parents divorced. I spent a week with my father and he took me to the pictures to see this film. The film score composed by the genius that is Burt Bacharach is sublime, particularly Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head - whenever I hear this song, even today, it reminds me of being back in Cumbernauld.

And speaking of the new town, the second film on the small screen tonight is Gregory's Girl, Bill Forsyth's brilliant coming of age film. With John Gordon Sinclair, Dee Hepburn and the gorgeous Clare Grogan, the film is set in Cumbernauld and so has a special place in my heart. And it also has a wonderful script, a superb performance from Sinclair and quaint wee cameo from the legend that is Chic Murray (off you go you small boy!) And I have I mentioned Clare Grogan??!

So tonight,from just before six o'clock, it's feet up, crack open a few bottles of cider and indulge in four hours of nostalgia. Perfect Sunday night viewing ahead of another gruesome week at work.

Have I mentioned Clare Grogan.....?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't go overlooking Clare Grogan..

it's great when hearing a song immediately transports you vividly back to a certain time and place.

Littleacornman said...

Ahh Clare Grogan..Bella Bella!

Colin Campbell said...

Both great films. My Dad took me to see Butch Cassidy in Kirkcaldy when it first came out. I saw Gregory's Girl at a screening lead by Bill Forsyth at University in Stirling. Hope it went well. I am drinking cider as I blog.

1st Lady said...

I think I'll join you. Enough room on the couch?

Strawberry Girl said...

Both sound like good choices... sadly I am stuck watching nada, (but the news) cause' we don't get cabble right now. Ah well...

p.s. I like rants, though I reflect. :)

Adullamite said...

Warning, 1st Lady does not want the film, she wants the cider.....!

1st Lady said...

Adull! How could you let my secret out! I was going to bring my extra special retractable straw, that's the one I use to sip out of other peoples ciders. It works from 10ft away!

Lilly said...

Gregory's Girl, oh that takes me back. What a choice!

June said...

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head was one of my favorite songs that I would sing over and over and over and over again until my mom would scream for me to shut up...ahhh the memories. hee hee. I also watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with my dad, it does bring me back to Kansas City, Missouri (or as I call it Misery) but at that time everything was great, that movie always brings up special memories for me. I never saw Gregory's Girl though, I may have to rent it to see...

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...