Sunday 26 October 2008

As Funny as a Trip to the Dentist...

Russell Brand has said sorry for offending Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs during a prank on his Saturday night BBC Radio 2 programme. Sachs' agent said he was "very upset" after Brand and studio guest Jonathan Ross left lewd messages on his answer phone broadcast in his 18 October show.

From the BBC News website.

Sometimes I think I'm out of sync with the rest of society. What, for example, do people find amusing about Russell Brand? A person for whom the term 'his heid's up his ain a*se' could have been made for. Today's politically correct brigade say the likes of legendary comics from the past such as Benny Hill, Les Dawson, Dick Emery would have no place in today's society because they were 'offensive'. I say bollocks to that and I don't care if anyone finds that offensive. Switching on the normally excellent BBC Radio Two and hearing prize chumps like Brand and Ross uttering gibberish is offensive to me.

Very few of today's comics make me laugh. The notable exception is Peter Kay who is very funny and very clever. His spoof of The X Factor/Pop Idol a couple of weeks ago on Channel Four was quite brilliant. But many others on mainstream television are about as funny as a trip to the dentist. Just what do people find even mildly amusing about:

Russell Brand
Jonathan Ross
Al Murray
Alan Carr
Jimmy Carr
Little Britain (I just don't get that programme)
Simon Amstell (I rarely watch Never Mind the Buzzcocks now Mark Lamarr has gone)

Billy Connolly used to make me laugh - about thirty years ago. Before he too disappeared up his own backside.

Nowadays I tend look for other sources of humour for entertainment. Such as Hearts striker Christian Nade's assertion that he wants to be the club's top goalscorer this season. Sorry - I have to go and change these trousers....

4 comments:

Adullamite said...

I agree.Age has something to do with it. But 'Little Britain' is unintelligible rubbish, and far to many are aimed at twenty somethings.

1st Lady said...

L.Muck had a dentist appointment recently, it was at tooth hurty.

True story too, we had such a laugh about it.

Mike Smith said...

Was she just filling in time?

(this could run and run...)

Colin Campbell said...

We have only had Little Britain here and I avoided that safely. Really stupid was my five minute take.

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...