Wednesday 8 October 2008

Pinhole Glasses

I’ve suffered poor eyesight for more than twenty years now. I first needed spectacles in the mid 1980s and, it appears, my eyesight is slowly deteriorating with each passing year. So when I heard of Pinhole Glasses I was more than a little intrigued.

Perfect vision in the unaided eye requires the eye lens to focus light rays from diverse angles into a single pinpoint directly on the retina at the back of the eye. For sufferers of refractive eye disorders, where the eye lens is too weak or the cornea or eyeball is misshapen, divergent light rays become focused in front of or behind the retina, casting an unfocused image onto the retina itself. This unfocused area of light is known as the 'blur circle'.

Pinhole glasses work by reducing the diversity of angles from which light rays can enter the eyes, allowing only direct light rays within a narrow angular path to strike the cornea.
When I first looked at the Pinhole Glasses website, I was initially cynical (as I tend to be on most things in life) But the site is interesting and informative and very easy to navigate (no matter how poor your eyesight I s!) Pinhole Glasses are the affordable alternative to prescription eyeglasses, consisting of precision-manufactured lightweight perforated plastic lenses, inset into standard metal or plastic spectacle frames. They are ideal for sufferers of refractive eye disorders, the elderly - no need for the obvious gag here, please - and computer users as the pinholes - accurately formed by laser technology - allow only direct and coherent light rays to pass through into the eye.

What particularly attracted me to Pinhole Glasses is that it doesn’t matter if I am reading a book or watching TV, one pair of pinhole glasses is all I need.

Highly recommended by a grandfather today feeling his age!

No comments:

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...