Saturday 13 June 2009

Saturday Night's All Right (well, it's not actually)

The Auld Reekie Ranter is not a happy chappy tonight (no change there, I hear you say, dear reader) I've checked the calendar - yup, it's June 13th. Double-checked - yup, it is officially British Summer Time. Yet, it's Saturday night, the rain is persisting down, it's dark, it's gloomy and we're now halfway through the weekend.

But I thought you liked it when it was damp, miserable and gloomy I hear you ask.

Well, yes - to a point. Although I would prefer to be sitting outside with a glass of cider letting the sun beam down and listening to some decent music on the IPod rather than stuck inside with the central heating on listening to the rain batter against the window.

And, quell surprise, there's nothing on the telly. I'm certainly not even considering watching Graham Norton, Chris Tarrant or Trooping the bloody Colour (viva Republic!) And don't even mention the words Big Brother...

In an attempt to cheer myself up I tried to purchase tickets for The Specials gig in Edinburgh in November - only to discover they're sold out barely twenty-four hours after going on sale. In any case, the £32 price was a tad steep and when you consider the administration fee, credit card fee etc. etc. you're looking at forty notes. These additional fees for using credit cards are a pain in the Simon Cowell. It seems to me to be a licence to make money.

With it being the close season, the fact there's nae fitba is another reason to grump. Yes, I complained regularly last season about some of Hearts performances and the likes of Christian Nade having all the pace of a slug. But Saturdays just aren't the same without fitba.

Damn it, I'm away to open a bottle of cider. Anyone care to join me...?

8 comments:

Strawberry Girl said...

Tisk, tisk grumping about a perfectly lovely storm. ;D

I actually hear one coming my way as well. Though I am stuck doing paper work so I can't enjoy it properly.

Why not listen to your i-pod and drink cider out on the porch... could be exciting. ;D

Unknown said...

The sun is shining ever so bright here. Na-nana-na-na!!!

Adullamite said...

Brilliant sunny day all day here! 400 miles south of Mike, almost ten in the evening and still light enough for me not to switch on the expensive light! Far too hot when out, and the water would not switch on, the temperature prevented the thermostat allowing the gas to fire up it was so warm in here.
Lovely.....

Strawberry Girl said...

Chuckle, chuckle

Caledonian Jim said...

I must say I didn't think Nade was that fast.

Bring back Drew Busby and Ernie Winchester.

Mike Smith said...

Drew Busby - now there was a player!

June said...

Ah sorry Mike, and here I posted Ghost Town for you on FB, didn't mean to throw salt in the wound. I hope you enjoyed your cider anyway.

Lilly said...

Mike, anyone who has never lived in the gloom of a Scottish summer wouldnt understand I guess. Except doesnt Adullamite also live in Scotland?

Its gloomy here but we are in winter. As for fitba maybe you need a summer sports obsession - mmmm golf, cricket, bowls? Or doing more blog posts maybe or writing a book! And yes, Viva Republic, even we cant manage to do that here!!!!

Back to School 2022

  A wee bit late with this but the little people have returned to school for another term. Except some of them aren't little any more. A...